The Second or Extended Australian Working Holiday Visa

Want to backpack your way around Australia for two whole years? Already here & want to get your Extended Working Holiday visa sorted? To find out how to "live the two year dream in Australia" you cannot miss this!!!

Share on Google+

Diving on the Great Barrier Reff
Diving on the Great Barrier Reef.
Full image available here.

The extended Working Holiday in Australia visa allows you to stay for an extra 12 months. You can apply for it while you are in Australia on your first Working Holiday (Subclass 417) visa, or at a later date after you have left Australia (basically you have the freedom to decide when you use it - use it 5 or 10 years later if you want to, it is up to you!).

If you have any questions don't forget to Check out the Working Holiday in Australian Forum for more details.

It is very similar to the first Working Holiday (Subclass 417) visa, and allows you to:

  1. Applying for it outside Australia: Come to Australia within 12 months of it being granted and stay for up to 12 months. If you do not come within 12 months it will be cancelled. It cannot be extended or deferred once it has been granted.
  2. Applying for it inside Australia - already here on your first Working Holiday visa: You can stay a total of 24 months from the date your first Working Holiday visa was activated.
  3. You can leave and re-enter Australia as many times as you want while it is still valid. Keep in mind that it is only valid for 12 months and any time spent outside of Australia does not extend this time limit.
  4. You can work, and there are no conditions on what work you can do with the exception that you cannot work for more than 6 months for any one employer. If you've already worked for an employer on your first visa you can work for them again - but only for 6 months: if you worked for them for 3 months on your first visa it does not mean that you can work for them for 9 months on your second one. It is a maximum of 6 months per visa.
  5. You can study for up to 4 months.

The second Australian Working Holiday visa - stay an extra year!
Are you ready to live the dream?
Tour Australia for 2 whole years!!!

To be eligible for this visa you have to meet some requirements. The most important requirement is that on your first Working Holiday visa you must have completed 3 months 'specified' work in 'regional' Australia.

Most people opt for fruit picking to meet this requirement, but other kinds of work are also eligible; such as: plant and animal cultivation, fishing and pearling, tree farming and felling, mining, and construction.

It is quite a complex subject as to what exactly is 'specified' work - should you require more details it is best to view the official Australian Government website.

And you can also find a list of eligible postcodes on the same website by just listed above. You really should consult this before working and make sure your job is inside an eligible postcode.

See below for the other requirements of this visa.

Visa Requirements

Tip: Check them off as you go so you know if you meet them all!

  •   Cannot have previously entered Australia on a Work & Holiday (462) visa.
  •   You MUST be over 18 & under 31 years old at the time of your application.
  •   You cannot travel with dependent children on this visa. Sorry mums and dads, unless you can find a baby sitter for a year, it is not for you. You should consider a Tourist visa instead.
  •   If you are applying for it outside of Australia you must still be outside when it is granted.
  •   Likewise, if you are applying for it inside of Australia you must still be here when it is granted.
  •   You must be of 'a good and sound character'. That means you cannot have been sentenced to 12+ months imprisonment; been sentenced twice to imprisonment within 2 years; or have been acquitted of an offence due to unsoundness of mind or insanity. If you are unsure if this is you I suggest you consult a lawyer.
  •   You MUST be in good health. In certain circumstances you MAY be requested to provide proof (a full medical examination by a certified doctor). You will be advised if you need to fulfil this requirement.
  •   Show proof (i.e. bank statements) of having enough funds to support yourself in Australia. Generally speaking this is $5,000AUD. You ALSO need proof of having either a ticket out of Australia, or funds to pay for a ticket out of Australia.
  •   Whilst you do not have to have health insurance to enter Australia on this visa, it is highly recommended. If you come from United Kingdom, Sweden, the Netherlands, Belgium, Finland, Norway, Slovenia, Malta or Italy you are automatically covered under the Australian Reciprocal Health Care Agreements (RHCA). These entitle you to basic cover (i.e. dental and pre-existing conditions are NOT covered). Different countries have different restrictions, so you should view the Australian Medicare Website for full details.
  •   On the note of health insurance, it is also a good idea to get Travellers Insurance to cover such things as camera, laptops, cancelled flights, hotel rooms, etc. I have put together an excellent list of specialised details and things to consider on my Travel Insurance for Australia page. Check it out now!
  •   You must come from one of the approved countries listed below.

Congratulations, you should be fine to apply for this visa!

Australian Working Holiday  
 approved countries 
Hide Box
 approved countries 
Show Box

The complete list of approved countries.

  • Belgium
  • Canada
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Hong Kong
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Malta
  • Norway
  • Republic of Cyprus
  • Republic of Ireland
  • Republic of Korea
  • Sweden
  • Taiwan
  • The Netherlands
  • United Kingdom

What have you forgotten???

Have you got everything you need for your trip?
Don't ruin your trip to Australia!
  • - Enjoy the perfect trip to Australia.
  • - Save hours & hours of your time.
  • - Don't forget anything important.
  • - Don't stress about a single thing.

Plan the perfect trip with my "Coming Downundr" checklist.

Can you afford not to???

So that's basically it - stay an extra year in Australia by just doing some work in a regional area. You can apply for it online at the official Australian Government Visa website.

If you have children (who are not travelling with you, as this is not allowed with this visa) you must submit your application by post, and can do so at the same link just listed.

And don't forget that you can use this second visa ANY time in the future so long as you are still under the age of 31. So get that 3 months of work done and come back for another whole extra year sometime in the future!

If you have any questions don't forget that you can ask on my friendly Working Holiday in Australian Forum for more details.

Downundr Online
Downundr Newsletter
Get all the latest news and updates with my FREE newsletter today!
Coming to Australia checklist!

Don't forget anything with the ultimate coming to Oz checklist!
Checklist for Australia
The Coming to Australia checklist

Recruiters in Australia!

Search 100's of recruiters today, start your new job tomorrow!
Recruitment office
Recruitment agencies in Australia!

Facts about kangaroos!

Learn all about kangaroos
with these fun kangaroo facts!
A kangaroo
Facts about kangaroos!

Travel Jobs!

Travel the world and
get paid to do it!
Taking photos while travelling
Jobs for travellers!

Facts about Australia

Cool and interesting
facts about Australia!
The Australian flag
Facts about Australia!

Resort Jobs in Australia!

Learn all the tips and tricks and
find a island resort job today!
Tropical resort view
Resort jobs in Australia!

Great Barrier Reef facts

Cool and interesting facts
about the Great Barrier Reef!
Scuba diving on the Great Barrier Reef
Facts about the Great Barrier Reef!


© Copyright 2012 - 2020. All Rights Reserved.